So I wanted to give an update on my first "packing" experience yesterday, but I was too traumatized to write anything. Mike and my mom came with me to the surgeon's office to get lessons from the nurse on how to pack my wound properly (something that will have to be done at least once a day for the next month!). It was the first time anything's been fiddled with since the surgery, so I didn't know what to expect.
First lesson learned, I should have taken two percosets instead of one. The nurse took out the old dressing without too much drama, but then when she started putting in the new dressing, things really got out of hand.
I realize I haven't really explained myself too well about what exactly I had surgery for. You see, it was an absess, or cyst, at the very base of my tailbone (aka, a Pilonidal Sinus). It's been flaring up and down for about the past year, and the surgeon said the best thing to do is have it removed. But what that requires is that the surgeon completely dig out the infection and leave me with a gaping hole that has to be repacked every day. Too much information yet? Then, please, don't read on.
So once the nurse started instructing my poor mom and husband how to inflict this form of torture, I really started losing it. The pain was a lot worse that I was expecting, especially since my incision goes all the way to my tailbone and I could feel everything. Mike was getting a little freaked out by my crying and couldn't force himself to get in there as much as he was hoping. Poor Mike, I don't blame him. :( But my mom was a trooper and I think got a good understanding of what needs to happen. Good thing she'll be coming over tonight to help with the first at-home packing and will be baby-sitting me until Tuesday while Mike's gone to Las Vegas.
After the packing was done, I basically collapsed on the floor, not knowing how to get rid of the awful nausea. The nurse elevated the table for me and had me lay down right away, which helped a ton. Needless to say, it was pretty traumatic for everyone in the room, and I'm just hoping my two percosets tonight will help me not care what's happening back there.
Side note: The nurse told us an interesting story about a 13-year-old boy who had a pilonidal sinus removed. When the surgeon got in there, he discovered a sack... with hair and teeth inside. It was his twin!! I'm so glad that didn't happen to me!
Saturday, January 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am so sorry you have to go through this. But soon it will be over. It will get better everyday!
"Yes, it was my twin." (My Big Fat Greek Wedding) Freaky that such a thing really happens!
I'm glad that part of the ordeal is past. Hoping you are doing better now!
Post a Comment